Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pharmacology

Pharmacology is so hard to understand. Having to incorporate lots of what we have previously learned into understanding pharmacology itself - the actions of it, why it inhibits and all that rubbish - kind of has made me realize how medicine is not only about the human body and the diseases. Heck, that's just such a small part of the entire course! And also there are so many other aspects: community medicine and behavioral science for example. They seem like pretty insignificant subjects but in actual fact, I do believe that they play a crucial role in successful medicine. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my view on medicine is a total misconception. There is so much more to learn and understand than just involving the body. It is a total opposite of what I had expected it to be!

That's basically all we did today. I also attended a talk called 'Global Cooling'. It's ECOmergency week! Basically what the talk was about was that global warming is a big problem. We haven't reached the point of no return yet, but we have passed the tipping point. Apparently (I didn't know of this earlier), meat (hamburgers and cattle, you know the kind) actually leaves a large carbon footprint! So she suggested that we go on a plant-based diet. Something like a vegetarian. It's more a way of life or something like that. And based on the figures I saw, it left me freaking astonished! Unreal. The amount of water it takes to make 1lb of beef can be used for one year of showers. Perhaps I mixed up the facts, but the points listed out were as shocking as that. So perhaps a day a week I'll avoid eating meat. Or I'll just be more conscious about not eating meat. Meh. Chicken is good though... :(

She said that if we ever went to an animal farm we could get off meat just overnight. I wonder, I really do!

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]